Every four years, Olympic fever takes over the world. And while Los Angeles and Rio are not geographically close together, citizens in Los Angeles can still experience some Olympic history and fun this year.
The LA Metro system is giving riders a chance to meet past Olympic Gold Medalists at various station stops from now through August 19th. A photo booth will be set up and the former Olympians will be taking photos and signing autographs, at no charge.
Olympic Gold Medalist Paul Gonzales at El Monte Station on Friday afternoon. Photo by Gary Leonard for Metro.
The schedule of athletes is here and on the LA Metro website
- El Monte Bus Station, Aug. 5 — Paul Gonzales, Gold Medal in Boxing Light Flyweight at the 1984 Los Angeles Games.
- Union Station, Aug. 8 — Shirley Babashoff, three-time Gold Medalist in swimming at the 1972 Munich Games and 1976 Montreal Games.
- Sierra Madre Villa Station, Aug. 9 — John Naber, four Gold Medals, one Silver in swimming at the 1976 Montreal Games.
- Culver City Station, Aug. 10 — John Naber, four Gold Medals, one Silver in swimming at the 1976 Montreal Games.
- North Hollywood Station, Aug. 11 — Julianne McNamara, Gold Medal in Uneven Parallel Bars at the 1984 Los Angeles Games.
- Atlantic Station, Aug. 12 — Brenda Villa, Gold Medal in Women’s Water Polo at the 2012 London Games.
- Chatsworth Station, Aug. 15 — Rafer Johnson, Gold Medal in Decathlon at the 1960 Rome Games.
- 7th Street/Metro Center, Aug. 16 — Valerie Brisco, three Gold Medals in 200 meters, 400 meters, 4×400 meters relay at the 1984 Los Angeles Games.
- Downtown Long Beach Station, Aug. 17 — Lisa Fernandez, three-time Gold Medal winner in Softball at 1996 Atlanta Games, 2000 Sydney Games and 2004 Athens Games.
- APU/Citrus College Station, Aug. 18 — Bryan Clay, Gold Medal in Decathlon at the 2008 Beijing Games.
- Downtown Santa Monica Station, Aug. 19 — Mark Spitz, nine-time Gold Medalist in Swimming at the 1968 Mexico City Games and 1972 Munich Games.
All appearances will take place from 4:30 pm to 6 pm.